Christmas movie must-see list
Christmas is definitely my favourite time of year.
I was the kid who believed in Santa Claus right up until…oh heck I still believe in Santa Claus.
For me Christmas is about magical things and beings, excuses to dress up in festive costumes, hanging out with family and friends, sharing the magic with your kids, delicious food and drink and Christmas carols on repeat.
It’s about nostalgia and memories of excitement and the joy I felt as a child, but there’s one other thing.
Christmas is not Christmas without Christmas movies.
So here is my hit list of favourite Christmas movies of all time.
- Picard – Make it So (Snow) Not so much a Christmas movie as a YouTube clip but totally brilliant!
- Elf – Will Ferrell as a fully grown elf. Goofy and hilarious. L-O-V-E it.
- Miracle on 34th Street – the original movie is a classic for good reason. The best part is how they prove Santa is real by the fact the US Postal Service sends all of Santa’s mail to him.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – to be completely honest the first time this classic came to my notice was when footage was featured in 80s classic, Gremlins, which I watched as a child. When I got a bit older I made a point of watching the whole movie and was hooked. Gremlins of course also makes it on my must see Christmas list.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – Chevy Chase and the Griswolds at their best. Enough said. This is a family favourite among my in-laws particularly.
- Little Women – this is not exactly an exclusively Christmas movie and I prefer the book to the movie versions, but there are some beautiful heart warming scenes centred around Christmas and family. Tear jerking stuff but beautiful.
- For a complete change of scene I wanted to add my brother’s all time favourite…Die Hard. When I asked him for his favourite Christmas movies this was the first one out of his mouth. It never occurred to me that it was a Christmas movie…not sure still if it qualifies, but hey the bad guy (Alan Rickman) also plays Snape in Harry Potter and is one of my favourite actors, so there you go little bro.
So there you have it. My must-see list. I can’t stick around too long though as I have some Christmas movies to watch. Merry Christmas to you and all your loved ones and a brilliant New Year.
To stay in the know about my writing projects and to receive regular writing tips and content like this, sign up here.
Latest posts by Kylie Fennell (see all)
- The Dance Off: Flash Fiction - March 13, 2023
- The Frontier: Flash Fiction - February 14, 2023
- The Ultimater: Flash Fiction - January 16, 2023
One thought on “Christmas movie must-see list”
I really like Bad Santa. I haven't seen it in a while as it's not one for the children!
Comments are closed.